Today I sat down in my pew and began scribbling down the list of questions I was asked and the interactions I was involved in during the 35 minutes of "community time" between services. Here's a glimpse of my life between being a guest presenter in the high school Sunday school class and settling into my pew for worship. In no particular order.
- Asked to take a picture of the kids playing outside on the church lawn in the fallen leaves.
- Told that 2/3's of the cotton balls from the resource room are now used up.
- Checked on the Ladies Tea sales upstairs in the church library and downstairs in the social hall. Made sure we had a volunteer at both stations.
- Picked up attendance folders from 2 adult and 9 children's Sunday school classrooms. Put in church office.
- Spoke to a friend about the tears in her eyes.
- Was asked where my daughter Jolee was.
- Was "surprised" by my daughter Jolee and her friends. They had been hiding in the library.
- Sold a tea ticket to my mother, upstairs.
- Discussed with a PsyD. student about being a floater/volunteer in children's ministry. Sold her a tea ticket downstairs.
- Tried to sell another tea ticket to a woman I miss seeing regularly. Her family will be out of town next weekend to visit her husband's mother. Had a short conversation about the importance of spending time with family no matter the cost of time and travel.
- Tried to sell a tea ticket to a college student - a definite No Go.
- Tried to sell tea tickets to two soccer moms. They are busy next Saturday at 11am.
- Was asked if I was teaching Sunday school in the 3rd grade class next Sunday. Couldn't remember.
- Spoke to a family about the fact that three weeks ago they had told me to take them off the church/children's Sunday school roster. For the last two weeks they have been at our church. Found out they are going to make NFC their church home after all. Will happily be reinstating them to all my email groups this afternoon.
- Checked to make sure the nursery volunteers were in place. One was missing. Went outside and downstairs to find her. Found her.
- Cleaned up Ladies Tea ticket supplies. Placed items in my office box.
- Checked in with a first time volunteer about Children's Care happening during 2nd service and what she could expect.
As usual I missed the welcome and announcements (so I have no idea if K-2 Fun Night got announced). But I was feeling pretty good about making my way in to the sanctuary during the "stand and greet" section of our meeting. I thought, "ahh, now maybe I can settle into worship."
During the church service I always leave at offering to help Children's Care get settled in. Today took a bit longer since we had a new volunteer and I needed to create "name tags" out of masking tape for the kids. Heading back into the sanctuary I saw a mom and her baby hanging out in the church library. I stopped to check in...who can resist a baby!
I made it back in to service and was enjoying the message when I was tapped on the shoulder and asked to come quickly. A child was bleeding profusely due to an injury caused by a coat hook. I got the little boy cleaned up and bandaged. As I was getting ready to return to service another child needed help. Potty time. Since our new volunteer wasn't quite sure of the protocol for bathroom procedures, I stayed and modeled what to do. Back in my pew I heard the last two minutes of the sermon and enjoyed the closing songs.
|The quick pic I snapped with my iPhone between services.|
Church is just a wacky time for me. And honestly this post is NOT a complaint. My Sunday morning was filled with what I love...being a part of community. Certainly I do miss getting to be fully present in worship. But for now I will embrace where God has me. In the middle of the merry-go-round. Working hard to keep my balance and my eyes focused on Him.